Friday 17 July 2020

Thinking outside the square.

A year after my last post, I've found something to "blog on" about. Combining a previous blog about using your tools to their full potential and my constant whinge about the nightmares of cooking for two, I accidentally found an ally yesterday.

Having a freezer cleanout, I found a small piece of gravy beef. I love gravy beef, cooked properly. I decided on a Beef Stew for two. Problem: gravy beef MUST be cooked slowly for hours. My stovetop is too hot. My slow cooker is too big. Thinking cap on..........

I decided to transfer the "ready to simmer" stew into an old fashioned pudding basin and put it into the slow cooker for 10 hours. I actually put a pic (below,) up on social media with others' opinions sought. Some thought I was trying to make a joke!!


This morning I checked it and was absolutely chuffed!!

I had thought the idea had merits - in the past I have done small roasts in it and they work perfectly, so the slow cooker CAN double as a small oven.

Stew for 2!! I'll be doing that again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment